Tuesday, March 4, 2008

OK . . . blogging has not been on my to-do list lately!

We've been so busy the past couple weeks, I just haven't found any time to update all that's been going on here at the Hanson house. We've spent the past two Saturdays out of town at Jakob's wrestling tournaments. And although he didn't medal, he did really well! Last weekend we were wrestling in Connell, it was actually a pretty short road trip only about 40 minutes North of us. Jakob finished the day the same way as last week . . . one win and two losses.

I almost totally missed his third match due to the fact that people (mainly adults) can't follow rules. I don't think the announcer stressed enough that only two parents and two coaches would be allowed down on the mat. When Jakob started that last match there were at least 20-25 people on either side of the score table for Jakob's opponent. Joe was able to get down on the mat and told one guy to move to the other side of the table, in which his response was NO, lucky for the guy he did move when he realized he was in the wrong spot.

I never did get down on the mat, I couldn't get close enough because of all the extended family that was clearly breaking the rules. I didn't want to walk away and miss it but with the announcers table directly behind us I eventually stepped away and asked who I needed to make a complaint to . . . after being told who I needed to talk to I went back to the mat (she was busy doing something and if anyone's ever been to one of these Little Guys Wrestling tournaments you know all to well how CRAZY they are). When I still couldn't get to mat, it pissed me off even more! I turned around and grabbed the lady, told her" it was frickin' ridiculous that I missed all of my son's match because these freakin' people couldn't follow the rules". She went right out to them and of course they didn't care and wouldn't move, but by this time it was too late anyways and the match was over.

I usually try to contain myself, but let me just say . . . you've all heard of baseball and soccer moms . . . they have nothing on some of the wrestling Mom's I've encountered.

The weekend before was Jakob's first tournament in Royal City, a small farming town about 1 1/2 hours away. Jakob lost his first match, won his second and was pinned during his third. If it wasn't for him getting a bloody nose I think he would have done better. He wrestled a teammate who he's beat before . . .

Last Thursday Jakob had his Science Fair, this was the very first time he participated and he was so very excited! For a second grader, he did a excellent job on his project. He had gone to work with Joe to pick out and gather different kinds of metal to use for his experiment. He drew pictures of all the different metal parts to determine if they were magnetic or not. Oh and the safety glasses he totally insisted on wearing . . . don't even ask!!!

Jakob's basketball season wrapped up last week too, but it doesn't make our weeknights any less busy, it just frees up an extra hour on Monday nights and gives us a little more time to enjoy dinner before heading off to wrestling practice. We also decided to switch practice locations, we had been practicing in Richland since Jakob was only 5 years old. Now we'll be making the trip to Pasco three nights a week, the practices are a lot more structured and disciplined . . . just what Jakob needs! (NO HORSE PLAY) The practices are also held at the high school Joe went to and he knows a few of the parents from his school days. We were always told when we were in high school to stay out of Pasco . . . that town still scares me!

As of the 16th of February, Joe and I became the parents of a teenager . . . how can that be??? It seems just like yesterday that we were teenagers ourselves. One good thing about that is that we can still remember all the tricks, that doesn't mean that she still doesn't try to pull a few. Not only is she a teenager now, but she also has a BOY that's a friend . . . as Joe likes to call him. I know that this is just the beginning to ALOT more! I sure hope that I'm not completely gray by the time she graduates from high school.

2 comments:

Margee' said...

Never a dull moment, huh?

Martha said...

Hi Gina! You've been tagged. Details are on my blog.