Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A sad moment . . .

***WARNING*** this picture I'm sharing with you may seem distasteful to some, but it meant a lot to my husband.

I just don't have any words of my own to share, so I'll use the words Joe shared with all his hunting buddies. I've never heard such nice things before, those men definitely can sympathize as all of their dogs are a big part of their lives . . .

I have had George since I have been married...fourteen yrs. he has been our family dog to my kids for their lifetimes...I knew that he was getting old but he seemed like he was gonna live forever...He was never much of a hunting dog...he contracted Parvo as a puppy even after he had his shots...he spent a week at the vets fighting to get better...he made it through but never turned out to be the hunting dog his mom was...the vet said that it had alot to do with him being sick as a pup...but he was one heck of a family pet...he would let my boy Jake ride him around the yard when he was smaller and just loved to hang around out in the sun on days like yesterday...I went out to feed him yesterday afternoon and seen he was sleeping in his Igloo with his head resting on his paws like I have seen him so many times in our fourteen years together...but this time when I called him he didn't move...he just laid there in his forever sleep...although I was prepared for the time, I knew it would still be hard to say good bye... I reached in and patted George on the head as I have done through all these years and said lets go...he was still warm and must have only missed his last breathes by a few minutes...I loaded him and the family up in the truck and drove him out to my in-laws place to lay him down for the last time...I am sure gonna miss my old dog George and his lonesome howl after he ate dinner every night...


Kaitie and Jakob both took this really hard, George has always been a part of their lives. And as silly as this sounds, I know that lil Dude (our dachshund) is really sad too! He's lost his best friend too . . .

20 comments:

Margee' said...

We'll all miss him and his wandering away from home. He's spend vacations here with us and loved snacks!

Margee' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margee' said...

Sorry, it posted twice.

Jen Harrison said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Hugs for your family.

Bonni said...

I cried reading those words. This is such a sad thing for everyone and I am sorry for your loss!

Angie said...

This brought tears to my eyes Gina, I think the picture is wonderful, it shows how very much George was loved. Big hugs to you and your family including lil dude.

Carol A. said...

I am so sorry about the loss of George, Gina. Losing a part of the family is really hard. Hugs to you and your family.

Martha said...

I'm so sorry Gina. I know once you get past the pain of it you'll have lots of happy memories. George was lucky to have had a good, long life with a family who loved him and was so devoted to him. I feel for Lil' Dude too. I'm sure he's lonely now. Hugs to all of you!

Robin said...

WOW! Took me a minute to figure out what this was...my heart goes out to your family Gina! No matter what he will always be a very important party of the family!

Mona said...

It is so hard to say goodbye to are furry family members. Hugs...

Shaela said...

My sympathies to you and yours - nothing about your thoughts and feelings is silly. I know what it feels like to lose a beloved pet, and my heart goes out to your family. God bless.

jinxi~ aka angi said...

awww.. so sad! Im sorry.. a pet that has been with the family for that long is definitely a part of the family.. Im sure he will be sadly missed! Hugs!

lashell said...

Gina,

this made me cry...our wonderful dog of fifteen years passed away a year and half ago. I can understand the pain your family is going through losing your first"child". Hang in there

Unknown said...

This almost made me cry, I know what it feels like to lose a pet that is happy to see you every time you are away, even for 5 minutes.

Sorry for your loss, and hugs to all of you.

Unknown said...

Oh and, the picture is in no way distasteful. A beautiful composition actually. With special meaning, feelings, and love behind it.

RobinDiane said...

Gina that was a beautiful post and it did bring tears to my eyes. My sympathies to you and your family. Pets are part of the family and it is hard when they pass away.

Lesli said...

I'm so sorry for your loss - we lost our dog of 17 years last fall.

Sabrina said...

Gina, I'm kind of late posting here, but big HUGS to you and your family! I think your husband's words are very touching. It is amazing how much a part of your family a pet can become.

Chris said...

Gina,
So sorry for your family. It is so hard to loose a beloved pet. I have had to deal with it 4 times in my life and it never gets any easier. I think the photo is a very nice tribute to the love between your husband and his dog.

Jennifer and Amy said...

Oh this is so sweet - I love those words from your husband - what a special bond they shared. I think that picture is very sweet as well. Big hugs to you all on your loss!!

Amy (momtorachel)