Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Remembrance . . .

Joseph E. Hanson
January 14, 1943 - November 11, 2007

It's hard to believe it's already been a year, Joe still talks about his Dad everyday. What makes this day even more special is that it's also Veteran's Day. Joe Sr. served our country in the United States Army in Germany back before he met and married Cathy. Just a couple of days after his passing when he was returned to us, my heart sank to see Cathy being handed that folded United States flag. Joe's Dad was a true American in every sense of the word . . . a Union Lineman, a hard worker, a FORD truck driver, country music listener and a U.S. Veteran.

I can remember that phone call (how could I ever forget the phone ringing at 2:45AM on my Birthday) that whole day was filled with phone call after phone call with updates. We left the next morning early and drove 26-hours straight through to Iowa, with our hearts stopping every time one of our phones rang. We made it in time and was able to see Joe and was ever so thankful that he knew we were there. I just re-read my post on my blog from last November, it still feels like yesterday that we were dealing with this, the pain and sadness is still very strong. My heart aches for my husband when I see how much he still misses his Dad. After spending so many days with my MIL just recently, it also pained me to see how much her heart is still breaking for the man that she was married to for nearly forty years.

We're so glad that he wanted to be brought back home to Washington State to be laid to rest. When Joe got off work we headed out to the towers, we took some yellow carnations, we spent some time there with him . . . although it's been a year since Joe's passing our memories still linger from that cold November day. Joe, you'll always be in our hearts, you'll always be in our memories . . . we miss you!

6 comments:

Renee' Morris-Dezember said...

I have no words to share this morning...just sitting here in tears...I'm thinking about all of you...

Shaela said...

what a sweet tribute to such a wonderful man

Margee' said...

That's a great tribute to Joe's Dad. November brings alot of memories to the surface for us.

Chris said...

Gina... so hard to believe it has been a year! Hugs and what a great tribute!!

Deb said...

Big hugs to you and your family, Gina!

Joe said...

Gina, I couldn't have gone through this year without you, you know how much my dad has meant to me. This has been the toughest road I have ever traveled and I am glad that you have been there with me...right by my side.....Joe