Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Just a little rant . . .

I've recently had the same conversation with multiple people about SAHM's . . . I'm sure you've all heard it before, thought or even felt this way too . . . no time to do anything, constantly being interrupted, washing loads and loads of laundry and dishes, the list goes on . . . it never fails the minute I reply with I know all too well about that and then add that it's not what it's all cracked out to be I always get the same response . . . you know the one . . . YOU have it EASY . . . your kids are in school all day long, etc. Well, you know what??? I've been in your shoes, I've just moved on to another chapter in the book of "Raising your Children" . . . one day you'll get here too! I certainly can't be where I am without having gone through the same things that you other Mom's with younger children are currently dealing with. The only difference is I actually do have the time to play on the computer, scrapbook, run, or make that occasional trip to Starbucks without either of my children in tow . . . often makes me wonder how neglected some children are when they're Mother's are off in their own little world obviously not interacting with their kiddos. And personally I know quite a few . . . it gets a little irritating to have people insinuate how easy I've got it.

And just so some of you know . . . just because my children are older doesn't make it any easier, actually it's the exact opposite. The things I deal with now are even more disturbing than one can imagine who isn't already in my shoes walking in my footsteps. At least if I had young ones still at home under my constant eye I wouldn't have to deal with them coming home from school talking about sex, drugs and other various topics that I'd rather not hear come out of their mouths. It was so much easier when the biggest crisis was one of my kids getting gum in their hair or skinning their knees in the driveway or even fighting over what cartoon to watch. Although I am enjoying being able to stay at home (most days), I'm even more thankful that my husband provides well enough for us to make that even possible.

OK, I feel so much better now that I've gotten that out . . .

8 comments:

lashell said...

AMEN!!!!

Shaela said...

glad you could get it out - sometimes that's all it takes to feel better. sorry you've been feeling ganged up on by other moms :(

Margee' said...

Since I'm from a different generation than most of you, it has been different for me. I've been SAHW/M/Grandmom for almost 38 years.

Through the years I was told by people that they envied my ability to be able to stay at home.

Not sure why people these days would put a Wife/Mom down for being a SAHW/M, that's totally wrong!

Situations and Priorities differ.

Renee' Morris-Dezember said...

oh goodness Gina what the hell! I have been a SAHM now for 3 years and I really miss working but I get the exact opposite most of the time from people - I get the GOOD FOR YOU's for staying home...I have gotten some of the you must sit at home all day on the computer and we know who that's from and funny things is...we all all know she does it too...but being a SAHM is the HARDEST job in the world...but I would agree being a mom of little ones is SO MUCH EASIER then a mom to kiddos who leave the house for 3/4s of the day and are subjected to GOD ONLY KNOWS what...then they come home and we have to deal with that! Being a parent is the hardest job in the world and anyone who says differently is only kidding themselves...

jinxi~ aka angi said...

When will the Moms unite and just understand whether you are working at an office/job or staying home working you are STILL working and still a Mom. This Mommy business is a 24/7 job for all of us.

Crazy b****s!

Angie said...

I think there are moms out there that feel like they are doing a bad job and they try to make good moms feel bad, to make themselves feel better. If you have a few hours a day to play on the computer, then you earned it and should enjoy it without anyone making you feel bad. Being a parent to older kids is so much harder than when the kids are little. They are exposed to so much and there are so many more things to worry about. I'm glad you were able to get this off your chest, I hope you feel better.

{ erin } said...

Good rant! I'm with ya 100%. Except my kids are still little so now you have me going "crap, it gets HARDER than this?!!?!?"

We will be in yakima for about two weeks. No return date just yet. My mom is doing way better (yay God!) and is supposed to be coming home tomorrow. Then I will be able to make some plans.

Because we are here now, I doubt I'll be back in August. I didn't bring my scrappy stuff but would you be up for coffee and shopping sometime next week??
Email me at Erin_Manning_@hotmail.com and I'll get it faster.

:o) e

taryn said...

You're right, I think, Gina! No matter what your current place or position in motherhood, it is always a challenge with different rewards than any other job. You rock, Momma! :)